How to get a permanent residence permit in Ukraine
Legal grounds for obtaining a permanent residence permit in Ukraine
A permanent residence permit in Ukraine is issued for a period of 10 years, with its subsequent exchange for a new one valid 10 years at a low cost. Foreign citizens who have received a permanent residence permit shall have the right to reside in Ukraine without any time restrictions, and there are no limits on the number of their visits to Ukraine. In addition, such foreigners shall have the right to be employed without a need to obtain a work permit.
In order apply for a permanent residence permit, a permit to immigrate to Ukraine must be obtained. The most common grounds for obtaining an immigration permit are kinship relations with Ukrainian citizens or other immigrants to Ukraine. If a foreign citizen does not have a family relationship in Ukraine, then making a foreign investment can serve as a legal basis for obtaining an immigration permit.
Investment of 100 thousand US dollars
According to the Law of Ukraine On Immigration, the right to obtain an immigration permit shall be granted to persons who have made a foreign investment in the economy of Ukraine in any foreign currency (US dollar, Euro, pound sterling, Canadian dollar, etc.) in the amount of USD 100,000 or more. The investment must be made in a foreign convertible currency in the amount equivalent to not less than USD 100,000 in accordance with the official exchange rate of the NBU on the date of such investment.
Since the legislation of Ukraine determines that such a foreign investment is to be made in the economy of Ukraine, the funds must be directed to the implementation of economic activities and receiving profit in Ukraine. The best option for making investments is to open your own company (e.g., an LLC) and to deposit the amount of USD 100,000 (or more) in the foreign currency into its authorized capital, transferring the funds from a personal investment account in Ukraine to the current account of an established company. Another option is participation in the authorized capital of an existing company. A foreign convertible currency is the only form of investment. Corporate rights, shares, and bonds are not considered investments in this case.
Note! Purchase of property (apartments, houses, land plots) in Ukraine worth USD 100,000 is not considered an investment in the economy of Ukraine. However, it is possible to buy real estate for a Ukrainian company (having made a contribution to the authorized capital, i.e., having transferred funds from a personal investment account in Ukraine to the account of the established company) and then re-register such real estate directly in a foreigner’s name. Another option is to lease real estate purchased and registered with the founded Ukrainian company under a lease agreement concluded between the given foreigner and his / her company.
Permit to immigrate to Ukraine
To obtain a permit for immigration to Ukraine, a foreign citizen (after making a foreign investment in the amount of USD 100,000) must submit the following documents:
- an application for an immigration permit. The application is submitted to an Embassy or Consulate of Ukraine (if the foreigner is abroad) or to the local office of the State Migration Service (at the place of residence in Ukraine). The application is to be submitted personally by a foreigner. In case of the foreigner’s illness or due to a natural disaster it is allowed to submit it by proxy;
- three photos;
- a copy of the identity document;
- a document confirming the place of residence (the document on the place of residence in Ukraine, if a foreign citizen resides in Ukraine and the documents are submitted in Ukraine; the document confirming the place of residence outside Ukraine, if a foreign citizen permanently resides outside Ukraine and the documents are submitted to an Embassy or consulates of Ukraine);
- information about the family composition, a copy of the marriage certificate (if the applicant is married);
- a document stating that the person does not have any chronic alcohol, toxic substances, drug addictions, or any infectious diseases. The list of such diseases is approved by the Ministry of Health of Ukraine;
- a copy of the Charter of the Ukrainian company and a certificate issued by the relevant Ukrainian bank stating that the investment account of the foreigner was credited with funds in the amount of at least USD 100,000, which are transferred to the company’s account as a contribution to its authorized capital from the foreigner.
According to the law, the period for processing an application for an immigration permit shall not exceed 1 year. In practice, the Migration Service of Ukraine usually considers the application within 3-6 months. However, due to the quarantine restrictions, it may take longer.
Permanent residence permit for Ukraine
After obtaining an immigration permit and arriving in Ukraine, a foreigner must apply for a permanent residence permit to the local office of the Migration Service of Ukraine at the place of his/her residence within 5 working days. The application must be accompanied by:
- a passport document of a foreigner with a type D visa (a long-term visa issued at the Consulate of Ukraine in the country of the foreigner’s citizenship allowing him/her to enter Ukraine for the purpose of processing documents granting the right to stay or reside in Ukraine);
- a certified translation of a page of a foreigner’s passport document with personal data into Ukrainian;
• a document confirming payment of the administrative fee (original). Currently, the administrative fee is 752 hryvnias (approx. USD 25);
- a copy of the resolution to grant an immigration permit.
The period for processing an application for a residence permit in Ukraine is 15 working days.
Note! Previously the residence permit was issued for an indefinite period, now it is issued in the form of an ID card for a period of 10 years. That is, it must be exchanged every 10 years.