Important information for foreigners in Ukraine during COVID-19 quarantine
Ukraine closes its borders to avoid COVID-19 spread: which foreigners are allowed to enter Ukraine?
Information updated 3 September 2020
In accordance with the amended Resolution No. 641 of the Cabinet of Ministers of Ukraine On the introduction of quarantine and stronger anti-epidemic measures in the area with a significant spread of acute respiratory disease COVID-19 caused by coronavirus SARS-CoV-2, starting from 29 August, foreigners are once again temporarily prohibited to cross the state borders and enter Ukraine until 28 September 2020.
However, the following foreign citizens are allowed to enter Ukraine during the quarantine period:
- foreign citizens entitled to permanent or temporary residence in Ukraine;
- foreign citizens or stateless persons having obtained a work permit in Ukraine;
- foreign citizens being technical specialists, entering Ukraine based on an invitation issued by a Ukrainian company;
- drivers and service personnel of cargo transport vehicles, bus drivers performing regular transportation, crew members of aircrafts, river and maritime vessels, train and locomotive crews;
- foreign citizens coming to study in educational institutions of Ukraine (short-term trainings or courses do no entitle foreigners to cross the Ukrainian border);
- foreigners who are spouses, parents, grandparents or children of citizens of Ukraine;
- employees of foreign diplomatic missions and consular institutions accredited in Ukraine, employees of the representative offices of official international missions, organizations accredited in Ukraine, and members of their families;
- heads and members of official delegations of foreign states, employees of international organizations and accompanying persons entering Ukraine based on an invitation by the President of Ukraine, the Parliament, the Government, the President’s Office or the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine
- persons, invited by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine;
- persons transporting hemopoietic stem cells intended for transplantation;
- persons coming to receive treatment in Ukrainian healthcare facilities;
- Ukrainian Armed Forces servicemen;
- instructors of the armed forces of NATO member-states and member-states of the Partnership for Peace programme who train Ukrainian Armed Forces servicemen or are invited by the Ministry of Defence of Ukraine;
- cultural professionals invited by a Ukrainian cultural institution and one accompanying person for each cultural professional;
- foreign citizens coming to participate in sports events being held in Ukraine together with accompanying persons;
- persons who have received the status of a refugee or a person in need of protection.
Note! Foreigners are now also banned from transiting Ukraine, even if they have documents confirming their departure within two days.
Health insurance card (certificate of insurance)
In order to enter Ukraine, foreign citizens crossing the state border are obliged to have a health insurance certificate that covers expenses arising from COVID-19 treatment and observation and is valid for the period of stay in Ukraine. The mentioned insurance certificate must be issued by:
- an insurance company registered in Ukraine;
- an international insurance company having a representative office in Ukraine;
- an international insurance company having a contractual relationship with a partnering insurance company in Ukraine (‘assistance’).
The obligation to have a health insurance certificate does not apply to:
- foreigners permanently residing in Ukraine;
- employees of foreign diplomatic missions and consular institutions, employees of the representative offices of official international missions, organizations accredited in Ukraine, and members of their families;
- Servicemen of the Armed Forces of NATO member-states and member-states of the Partnership for Peace programme, who train Ukrainian Armed Forces divisions.
Stay of Foreign Citizens in Ukraine during the Quarantine Period
Under Law On Amendments to Certain Legislative Acts of Ukraine Aimed at Preventing the Occurrence and Spread of Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19), dated 17 March 2020, as adopted by the Ukrainian Parliament, the foreign citizens, being unable to either leave Ukraine, or apply to the authorities of the State Migration Service of Ukraine for extending the period of their stay in Ukraine or exchanging a temporary / permanent residence permit, shall not be subject to the penalties for the foreigner status legislation violation if such violations have been committed during or as a result of the quarantine. This only applies to the foreigners who were legally staying in Ukraine when the quarantine was introduced.
Note! The running of the time periods for applying for prolongation of a temporary / permanent residence permit shall be suspended from the date the quarantine was announced (12 March 2020) for the period of quarantine or restrictive measures related to the spread of COVID-19.
Therefore, if a foreign citizen’s temporary / permanent residence permit expires during the quarantine, such a foreign citizen can apply to the relevant department of the State Migration Service of Ukraine for the residence permit renewal within 30 days after the quarantine is lifted.